Dr Harry Gilmore Wilson (Class of 1934)
Dr Harry G Wilson graduated in Medicine from the University of Queensland in 1940. He was the top student in the first class of students to graduate from the University of Queensland, being awarded the Robertson Medal.
In 1986 Dr Wilson published a book “Medicine Without Tears: a light-hearted look at the early medical school, Queensland”
After a year as RMO (Resident Medical Officer) at Royal Brisbane Hospital, Dr Wilson served for 3 years as a medical officer in the Army, before being recalled in 1943 when his father died. Dr Harry Wilson was sent home to take over the medical practice of his father, Dr Benjamin Gilmore Wilson in Ipswich.
After 7 years working in Ipswich, Dr Harry Wilson went to England to continue his studies, achieving his MRCP (Member of the Royal College of Physicians) in London in 1951 and a FRACP (Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians) in 1957.
In the 1960s Dr Wilson was he was appointed senior physician to Princess Alexandra Hospital, and helped found the Queensland Cardiac Clinic. He was also a director of Cromwell College at the University of Queensland, Brisbane, and served on the board of the Ipswich Grammar School for several years.
The Gilmore Wilson Memorial Music School (Overlooking No.1 oval) was named after Dr Gilmore. This is now the home of our Clothing Store and Accounts office.